- Richard Gottehrer and Scott Cohen start The Orchard in the Lower East Side of New York City to provide independent artists with the ability to sell their music to mainstream audiences
- We’re the first company to supply independent music to online retailer CDNOW (more like CDTHEN)
- Huge one-stop Valley Media goes out of business, taking The Orchard’s clients CDs with it, and thrusting us into digital.
- London calling! We open our European headquarters in London.
- iTunes launches and we deliver…the largest catalog of independent music in the world.
- We become the first independent distributor to hit one million paid downloads and streams; that’s a whole lotta customers served.
- We tap into the sync market early and launch our Film/TV/Advertising division to get our clients’ music heard all over the place.
- Since video killed the radio star, its about time we begin to digitally distribute video; we’re among YouTube’s first monetization partners and iTunes’ first independent film deals.
- The heat is on – as in heat map! We enhance our client dashboard with the Release Builder content management system and basic marketing and analytics tools.
- We add physical distribution to our platform of services, making it much easier for us to market across all retail channels.
- Bigger better faster stronger… Deloitte ranks The Orchard as the 66th fastest growing technology company in North America, ahead of Sirius, Constant Contact and RIM (Research in Motion).
- Pitbull’s Orchard-distributed single “Krazy” is certified gold; damn, that’s Krazy.
- Continuing the tradition of Orchard CEOs who have great hair, Brad Navin becomes CEO of The Orchard.
- Whether you need to create one carefully curated compilation or deliver hundreds of releases at once, Release Builder is at your service.
- Jackpot! We celebrate profitability.
- The Orchard Marketplace debuts with 20 sales and marketing tools from handpicked third-party partners, connecting our cool clients with cool companies through our API.
- Action sports drive us to action, and we launch The Orchard Sports to show off our catalogue of fast and furious sports videos.
- Finding money for our clients wherever we can, we now offer Neighboring Rights/Public Performance Royalty Collection, utilizing our 25+ global offices to create direct relationships and collect directly from the societies.
- Better together: IODA, Iris and The Orchard become one to lead the global digital distribution landscape.
- At 15 years old, we have lots of data, so we add YouTube, Facebook, Amazon and Spotify to Analytics, joining iTunes and more than 10 others.
- Sit back and watch that upload; film clients now use Film Builder to deliver feature length films to The Orchard.
- The Orchard celebrates a top ranked MCN and launches B.A.C.O.N. to support its growth.
- We are growing like weeds! We open offices in Mumbai, Rio de Janiero, Sydney and Singapore.
- The Orchard Sports relaunches as Echoboom Sports with a slick new look and epic content.
- The Orchard inks exclusive partnership with Scholastic, the world’s largest publisher and distributor of children’s books.
- We unveil our Workstation in 5 new languages for a total of 9 supported languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Turkish, Russian and Italian.
- We welcome BalconyTV, Frenchkiss Records and Frenchkiss Label Group to the family.
- We hit the Big Screen with our first theatrical release, Rich Hill, the Grand Jury Prize Winner of Sundance 2014.
- Richard Gottehrer gets awarded SESAC’s “Visionary Award” for his 50+ years of invaluable contributions to the music industry.
- The Orchard becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment, continuing to operate independently within the Sony family.
- The Duplass brothers granted us worldwide rights to release 7 upcoming films in theaters, digital, cable, airlines and DVD.
- We ink deals with 4 of the top action sports studios in North America — Brain Farm, Teton Gravity Research, Fanclub Media and Nitro Circus — making us the uncontested leader in action sports entertainment.
- Our Workstation now features a Master Rights Management tool to facilitate Performance Rights revenue claims and opportunities.